Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jenny Holzer Truisms - HC

1. The most interesting thing I found about this work by Jenny Holzer was her talent with words. I was not a big fan of the marble benches but I did enjoy the truisms. I just found the benches a bit odd. I feel like her words deserved a better place.

2. I would describe this work as original. Not many people are able to just turn simple phrases into an art form that others will enjoy. Anyone can just write down some words, but it really takes dedication to make the words convey a true message to the readers.

3.

A man can't know what it is to be a mother. - Those who can not bare a child, will never know what it means to be a mother.

Confusing yourself is a way to stay honest. - Honesty is best when blind-sighted.

Dying should be as easy as falling off a log. - Giving life is acceptable, so why is the choice to die not.

Even your family can betray you. - Although they are your kin, they may not always be kind.

Everyone's work is equally important. - Every act performed is important, no matter the size.

2 comments:

  1. "Dying should be as easy as falling off a log. - Giving life is acceptable, so why is the choice to die not."
    I thought that was a really good personal rewrite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I feel like her words deserved a better place." Why do you think she placed her words on benches? What is the effect of reading the work at a court house?

    ReplyDelete