Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Jenny Holzer Truisms/Allentown Art Museum

Jenny Holzer
1. a. What was the most interesting thing about this artwork? (medium, content, style, location, etc.)- I really had no interest in Holzer's work. I found it rather mundane and it's not something to I would recommend showing to people, or would even tell people that it existed. I also find it very ironic that they chose a court house to display truisms like "Boredom makes you do crazy things", probably why half the people are at the courthouse, and "Children are the hope of the future".

b. How would you describe this artwork and what are the ideas that the artist is working with?- I think her work is extremely unimpressive. There were hardly even any truisms that I found worth noting. I don't mean to be harsh, but I really think it was just blabber carved into fancy marble benches.

c. Select 5 truisms and rewrite them in your own words.
1. "Dreaming while awake is a frightening contradiction."- Dreaming while awake is called spacing out.
2. "Dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective."- Learn to appreciate life without having to almost die for the enlightenment.
3. "Drama often obscures the real issues."- People get wrapped up in things they shouldn't.
4. "Boredom makes you do crazy things."- People get bored.
5. "Children are the hope of the future."- I should have been a better parent.


Allentown Art Museum
A. What did you find to be the most interesting aspect of their job and their role within the museum?- I thought storing/restoring pieces would be interesting, being able to work in the areas of a museum that is never seen to the public. And as monotonous as it seems, I think I would like to be the person that cuts mat board, frames pieces, and makes labels and signs. I've always been a fan of tedious and meticulous work (possibly because it helps me to put my mind at ease), and that is something that although would bore many people, I might find fun.

B. Can you picture yourself in this type of position? If so, what do you like most about it?
1. Jacqueline Atkins- Chief Curator
a. Although this was one of the more appealing jobs that they mentioned available while working in a museum, I don't think my personality is fit to have to deal with the stress of the responsibilities of having to organize and keep tabs on all the work in the building.
b. I did like the organization and cataloguing aspects of her job. I have slight OCD tendencies when it comes to arranging and keeping things in order, and this would be a way of getting paid to do that.

2. Jane Kintzner- Interim Director of Education
a. I would never be able to picture myself in her job position, or in any museum position for that matter. It is just not the type of environment that I would want to work in.
b. Although, I do find the fact that she gets to interact with different artists, work directly with their pieces, and oversee's their displays from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment