Saturday, May 8, 2010

New York Trip #2- Liz R

A really neat bronze type sculpture near what seemed to be apartments.

Whitney
The last exhibit that we saw was the Whitney Biannual. I was more impressed with this than I was the Guggenheim. We were instructed to write down at least 5 pieces/artists that we found interesting. I wrote my list in my sketchbook, which is currently locked up in a glass case in communications hall, so I can't refer to it directly but I looked on the Whitney website and found some of what I remember writing down.
1. The Butcher and his Wife by George Condo
I really liked this giant bronze sculpture. I thought it had a lot of emotion.
2. All works by Charles Ray
I thought is use of color was very eye catching, although works seemed somewhat juvenile.
3. Self Immolation in Afghanistan: A Cry for Help by Stephanie Sinclair
These shocking collection of photographs were very powerful, which I find an important aspect in art.
4. Smoke Knows by Pae White
5. I don't remember the name of the pieces or artist, but the gigantic piece that was right in the opening of the 2nd or 3rd floor was extremely impressive. It was made of different textiles and what seemed like some kind of molded plastic. They were two separate pieces but seemed as though they were meant to go together.

Guggenheim
The second museum that we went to was the Guggenheim. I had never been there before, and wasn't too impresses with the work being displayed.
This was a photograph by Joan Jonas.


The MET
The first museum me and Cailin went to was the Met.
They had an aboriginal exhibition going on. This is just one of the many pieces they had displayed. It is a decorative head dress worn by a south american tribe.

Maude Adams as Joan of Arc by Alphonse Mucha. I think this was my absolute favorite thing I saw on the trip. I love Mucha and was very excited to see one of his pieces in person.


This was a wooden carving of Bodhisattva Manjushri. There were at least 4-5 wooden carvings of different bodhisattva's (which are influential "enlightened" people).

This was an amazing rock sculpture.

1 comment:

  1. Good overview and posted pics of this trip. The last artist you mentioned at the Biennial is Piotr UklaƄski.

    ReplyDelete