Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Second New York Trip Marie Strock

1. What do you think was the most interesting aspect of this presentation?


I loved the Met, I probably could have stayed in there the whole trip, but the Whitney was also on the agenda. The entire time I kept asking about the Hudson River Painters, I finally got to see some of the images in the back. "Landscape Painters" as they refer to them, someone suggested that I go see the Hudson River School, which I will on another trip. It was still a delight to see.

2. What was the most unexpected thing seen or discussed?


Well, like Deanna said, the naked woman in the window handing down a wallet to some guy was definitely entertaining in conversation. I am not used to all of the brashness that is New York. Also the architecture of the building really was phenomenal, I enjoyed it immensely, as well as the Egyptian Exhibit.

3. Can you imagine yourself in this profession?

Most definitely! The idea of having my work shown en mass is a great and albeit daunting prospect; I would love it and I would be doing what I do best.



The artwork at the Met was some of the most beautiful, antique work and the painterly feel of the pieces were amazing, art books cannot do them justice.



The first work, by Sir Thomas Lawrence "The Calmady Children" This piece was stunningly beautiful and my digital camera actually detected a face in the painting, which is kind of haunting.































The second piece I loved was "Flowers and Birds" by Shen Nanpin in the Chinese Exhibit.



Anything with scrolls draws my attention and the detail in this is just gorgeous.







































The third piece that caught my eye was the "Water Stone" by Isamu Noguchi. He's listed as American but his work is in the Japanese Exhibit.


The piece was made of basalt and was kind of like a water fountain, but you could not see any water flowing really unless you got close to it.















The fourth piece that I had loved was "Ema (Votive Painting) of a Lion" Unknown Artist





Anything depicting animals in a scroll-like fashion and/or folklore in calligraphy is also what draws me to this work.














The fifth piece that was also in the Japanese exhibit that I thought was just adorable was "Dog" Unknown Artist





































We also visited the Whitney; which to me was not as visually stunning as the Met, but I did like some of the works that were there. It was not my favorite place.



I thought this was interesting, "Smoke Knows" by Pae White


All of the curves and smokey hues really drags the eye from one side to the other.

No Pun Intended.








Also, this caught my attention as well. "Jodie Jill" by Storm Tharp
The use of color and black and white really stood these works out from the rest that were there. The lightness of the hair had me looking at his for a while. It's a big contrast from the face to the hair and even the background.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why they posted so far apart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Met is hard to beat, but the Biennial helps one keep abreast of the times. Although the show is always the subject of controversy in the art world. Glad you got introduced.

    ReplyDelete