Saturday, May 1, 2010

vanessa cross thesis paper

Vanessa Cross

Individual studios/Studio Practice

Bruce Wall

Individual Studio Thesis Paper

My original expectations for my art work were that is was planning on expanding my art work and creat things that I never did before. I know that I have always loved to draw ever since I was a little girl, and I still love it today. I was planning on drawing and painting other things outside my comfort zone, but as the semester started and when my first assignment that we had to do came up.
Our first assignment was the a self portrait and when I think of self-portraits I think of drawing yourself but then I noticed that we didn’t have to draw ourselfs we had to draw something that described me. So I decided to draw a very cute anime guy that I made up and I added wings to him because I just thought he would be cuter as an angel and I thought it came out great and when it was done I think it represented me because of my love of anime and angels.


The second assignment that we had to do was my called the personal belief were we had to draw something that we believed in or something that we believed was true. So since my last project had an angellike anime person so I decided to draw the opposite, so that is how I came up with the devil/demon looking anime character. So the personal belief part of it was that I believed demons were cool and good luck and that that the reall existed during the since I put a dragon neclace on him my other belief was that I believed dragons were lived during the dinosours
The third assignment was to combine our artwork with a navajo look and that was called the navajo exchange were we each had to come up with our own design mixed with a navajo look. So I came up with an anime and navajo look and I think it came out great and plus I got a lot of great comments on it.

I planned on experimenting with new materials and figuring out what I wanted to do in the future like either paint or the continue to draw so I decided to try both this semester and so I did. So after trying both out I decided I liked to draw better but painting was also fun as well and I have gotten better at painting then what I thought.
The materials that I have worked with this semester would have to be cotton, acrylic paints, colored pencils and I used some string as well. For the navajo project I but a huge board on the back of the navajo canvas. I have developed better painting skills and I found out that I can paint better than I thought I did. I also have gotten a lot better at drawing my own characters as well and I still want to continue to draw anime, but I still don’t know what to do in the future and what kind of career can come out from drawing anime maybe a cartoonist or an animator.
Well my classemates helped me come up with amazing ideas on my projects and I have yet to experiment with them but if anymore ideas would come up then I will go ahead and use them.
I have researched so many different anime artist so I could decide what I wanted to learn more about. So for my visual culture paper I decided to go with Tite Kubo because he created one of my favorite anime of all time. It was interesting learning about him because there was stuff I found out about him that I didn’t know. Like I didn’t know that he did this other manga called zombie powder but bleach was the most successful out of those two. Bleach is the anime/manga that I love the most cause I like the story and the characters. It influenced me by having me want to draw more anime just like I have been doing and also expand my herizon.
Out of all the trips that we went on this semester my favorite one would have to be the first new york city trip. My favorite museum was the Pulse museum at the end of the trip cause I think the art work in that place interested me more. I really liked the paintings that were from tokyo cause it reminded me of anime, something that I like to draw. Second time we went to New York wasn’t as much fun but I did like the Mets museum, cause it was huge and it had a lot of interesting ancient art that was really cool. I liked the Eyptian art cause I always loved the coffins that they buried there dead in.
I liked the meating with Don becaue he gave me plenty of advice to help me with my art work and I think that I will use that advice someday. The insights that I gained about the art world would be things that the art world isn’t always friendly and that it is tough to make a living on just art alone, cause you have to have a veriety of abilities like computer animation or graphics. This semester was hard to get through cause it was the toughest art class that I have ever taken but it was the most exciting. It just comes to show you that you have to work for the things that you want to achive them. It was fun painting on the wall for the art show cause I never got to do something like that before.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you benefited overall from your experiences this semester, but I'm still wondering what you thought about mush of it. Such as Claire Seidl, OK Harris Gallery, Renee Ricarrdo and Paul Laster – our guides to the Chelsea Galleries and who shared a wealth of information with us about the artists. I'm also unclear as to what your thinking of in terms of continuing your education. Have you sought information from other schools?

    ReplyDelete