Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New York Trip #1

Claire Seidl
I was most impressed with Claire's photos, and one painting in particular. I liked the texture that she achieved in this painting, and I also liked the exposure techniques she used in her photography. I was extremely jealous of the dark room that she had. I've always wanted a
dark room of my own. I liked seeing the space that she worked in and hearing about her talk about her schooling and what it took to get her to where she is today. What I think I admired most was that it seemed like she is doing what she loves with art, that she is in exactly the direction that she wants to be in and is able to make a living off of doing what she's passionate about.

O.K. Harris Gallery
I really enjoyed this artist, Alejandro Quincoces, and the way that he painted realistically but put a kind of grainy foggy wash over everything to kind of mute out the painting.


Broken Kilometer
I thought the Broken Kilometer was absolutely amazing. When it was described to us, I didn't expect to be as impressed with it as I was, I thought it sounded kind of boring, but stepping into the room I was blown away by the presentation of all the bronze rods. I was genuinely impressed by this exhibition and wish I could have stayed there longer.

New York Earth Room
I wasn't as impressed by this as I was with the Broken Kilometer, but I thought it was amazing as well. I think my favorite part about it was walking up the stairs and starting to feel the moisture in the air and smell all the dirt before you even got to the floor that it was on. I also found it amazing that in the midst of the busy city, there is a small (compared to the rest of the city), quiet room filled with dirt on the second or third floor of some incognito building, and hundreds of people pass by it a day without even realizing what is there.

Jack Shainman Gallery
I thought the works displayed by El Anatsui were absolutely amazing. I was completely captivated by the fact that he was able to weave thousands of pieces of metal into an extremely textile looking piece. I was impressed by the size of the pieces and appreciated them because you could tell how meticulous and tedious all the pieces were.

Jonathan LeVine Gallery
I absolutely fell in love with the LeVine Gallery, especially this painting by Esao Andrews. It was extremely creepy, and I love creepy things. I read Juxtapoz magazine every once in a while, and they absolutely love the LeVine gallery, so i was familiar with the name right away. I really liked the type of art they had displayed there and thought it was the best part of our first New York trip. There were some other galleries in the same building that I wish we would have had time to look at.


The Independent
I wasn't completely excited about this collection. There were a few pieces that I thought were nice, but overall I didn't see anything that really made a lasting impression on me.

Pulse
I liked Pulse a lot, I was just so tired and worn out by this point in the trip that I almost felt like it was a chore to walk around and look at the art. There were a lot of artists that I really enjoyed. I thought the taxidermy animals constructed by Enrique Gomez de Molina were amazing. It was a very original and eye catching idea. There were multiple other animals displayed this way, but I really liked how he positioned bugs around this, tying the animal down with strings.
I had never been to such a large, modern show, showing so many different artists. I also was really excited to see one of Emil Lukas's string pieces hanging up there.



I tried to post pictures but it said my html was incorrect and I really don't feel like messing around with this computer. Sorry everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment