Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chris Demchak - NYC Art Trip


1. What do you feel was the most interesting or significant aspect of this discussion/presentation?

Claire Siedl
It was great to see what a studio apartment in NY looked like. I like that it was a little more disorganized than Emil's and I think her artwork is fantastic. I enjoyed Claire's long-exposure photography but I think her paintings are amazing. This one in particular takes my breath away. It reminds me of some kind of gem stone.







O.K. Harris Gallery
Mike Baur's sculptures were fantastic. Scrap metal and other found objects crafted into dynamically visual pieces.

In a different room there were these wonderful photographs by Steve Gross and Susan Daly. Most were of landscapes and rustic-looking houses.

There was a ton of stored artworks and some displayed didn't have any details such as the one with the wolves and the hog.





Broken Kilometer and Earth Room
It amazed me to think there are such things as permanent galleries in NYC. These two giant sculptural room installations give off a sense of hallowed ground. I wanted to explore both deeply yet (even if I was allowed) I don't know if I would. Both could come off as something from Ripley's Believe It or Not but to an artist, there's something more substantial than a bunch of copper tubes and a room full of dirt.

El Anatsui
I dare say I actually liked these pieces. The intricacy is mind-boggling and the shapes and especially the folds are absolutely stunning.














Jonathan LeVine Gallery
This Pop Art filled gallery seemed like something for our generation. I particularly enjoyed the anatomical pieces/references that I've had a penchant for this semester.


Chelsea Gallery - The Independent
There was so much inspiring art to take in it was crazy. A fantastic fusion of 2D and 3D, I think it's a great showing of contemporary art and what's being made today. Amazing works.


PULSE

So many interesting works from so many talented artists.

Christoph Ruckhaberle


Sam Messenger - A Thousand Words

The idea behind this tickles me in all the right ways.

Megan Whitmarsh - Color Work Station


Adriana Duque - Daniel/Felipe. Serie infantes.

Stunning portraits.

Ivan Capote - Autumn (all fall)
This made me laugh.

2. What was the most unexpected thing seen or discussed?

I think seeing how enormous, vast, and diverse the art world is. What we saw was just a small portion of the galleries in the City. Just thinking about how many artists and how much art is being shown (and NOT being shown) is staggering.

3. Can you imagine yourself in this profession? If so, what do you like the most about it? If not, why?

Absolutely. I like the pushing oneself aspect, the challenge, the constant learning and being surrounded by art.

4. Additional observations and comments:

Even though it's the same address, this door DOES NOT lead to the Broken Kilometer.

It may however lead to a Saw-like death.

Oh, and falafels are probably the single most greatest food on the planet.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent report. Since you obviously like to write, "art criticism" could be an interesting avenue to explore. Quite a number of artists have been active in both areas, Donald Judd, Peter Halley, and Paul Laster, whom we met.
    Great photo posting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I remember that little creepy stairwell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,only until we got back up the stairs did we realize where it was...Haha!

    ReplyDelete