Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kylie Sandt - Banana Factory Visit

1. What do you feel was the most interesting or significant aspect of this discussion/presentation?

I'd have to agree with everyone else and say the most interesting thing was seeing the diversity of all the artists. and how they interacted with each other.

2. What was the most unexpected thing seen or discussed?

I don't think I really had any expectations. Before the visit I didn't really actually know what the banana factory was. So discovering that not only is it a place where classes are held, but also provides a gallery and studio space for artists was good to learn. I am still not absolutely positive what the BA's mission is so I'm looking forward to interning.

3. Can you imagine yourself in this profession? If so, what do you like the most about it? If not, why?

I can imagine myself in this profession as long as I can learn to communicate better and become more social. Speaking of which, I started a rather productive conversation with someone I didn't know the other day. For most people that's probably really mundane, but for me it doesn't happen very often and it's a sort of accomplishment. I can't help but laugh at myself for being such a kid about such a silly thing.

4. Additional observations and comments:

I took a major interest in Virginia Abbott's paper casting. Not only could I relate to her being a sculptor, but also her subject matter. I have deep fascination with Egyptian and other mythology, but I rarely get a chance to show it in my own artwork. I was not able to get any photos of the work that she had displayed there so I looked online and could only find one image of a piece that was hanging in her studio. I didn't really think much of it upon seeing it on the cluttered walls of her studio except that it was different from many of the others. After I found it online and had time to let it sink in, the piece grew on me. Despite slight smile, I can almost sense a sort of sadness in the piece. Working from the subject's culture, it acknowledges the bear brethren. The colors and materials further that link with the natural world.

1 comment:

  1. OK, the BF is a local treasure with so many things going on as part of the local art world – exhibitions, classes, studios, special events, and of course THE place to stop by on "First Fridays".

    Looking forward to hearing about your internship day.

    ReplyDelete