Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kylie Sandt - NYC Response

Claire Seidl's personality and enthusiasm toward the unique qualities of her studio (her darkroom and rolling wall) and her art work gave our visit to her studio a fun and friendly atmosphere. I tended to favor her photographs over her paintings. Usually, I don't take a liking to nonrepresentational paintings such as those right away, if at all. I did like her photos though, I loved the idea of capturing the passing of time in a single image.

I enjoyed a few of the artists displayed in the O.K.Harris Gallery. Sculptures and 3D pieces are usually the things that stick out to me the most and that seemed to be the case here. I liked the steel and concrete sculptures throughout the first room which seemed almost organic in form, but even more exciting was the wire piece that cast the shadow of a man's portrait. It's hard to imagine how much thought and work went into the placement of the wires (or were they steel rods?) Another piece that stood out to me simply because of a single word/object was the photograph of an abandoned house with a honey sign out front. It reminds me of when I was younger which I think could be said for the other photos in that series.





I was excited to see the Walter De Maria installations. I love art that creates an atmosphere and these works certainly did that. As I stepped into the room that contained the Broken Kilometer a strong scent was thrust up my nose, a very different sensation came over once I actually saw the piece. It made me feel very small, which is strange considering the tiny space we were forced to view it from. I have to admit, the Earth Room did not excite me as much as I thought it would. Maybe it was because of all the people who were crammed in around me or maybe I just wasn't satisfied. I think I might want to see an interactive version...hmmm...gives me ideas.

I did like El Anastui's work in the Jack Shainman gallery. I loved the illusion that was created that changed the cold hard aluminum pieces into warm blankets that seem to flow over the wall. I feel it was good that we were introduced to Paul and Renee. Meeting people who make a living as writers and curators of art rather than primarily making art may have opened us up to yet another career in art.


The Johnathan LeVine Gallery was an enjoyable visit. The pieces in this gallery were fun and colorful. Although I really liked them, the only ones that really stood out to me were the chandeliers and the rubix cube pieces.

I have to admit, by the time we got to The Independent I was starting to get tired of looking at art and everything was starting to mush together in a giant mass of chaos and I was pretty much walking mindless through through the show. There were still some pieces that stood out to me, but I did not get many pictures.


PULSE was pretty exciting, there was so much great work that it was hard to pick just five.

Drums/Trees by Trevor Rees. A drum set with real trees growing out of the tops. In the center a tv played a scene where wind blew through trees. It was accompanied by the sound of either drums or nature, I don't remember correctly with one.


Nimrod by Itamar Jobani was many pieces of ply wood layed on top of each other to make the shape of a figure.

Enrique Gomez de MOLINA used taxidermy to create sculptures that combine different animals to create strange characters.


Jorge Mayet creates dissolving landscapes that float in the air.



Cumulous Brand, Bill by Dietrich Wegner is a sculpture of a fetus tattooed with symbols and logos. A symbol of how people are branded with business and the media.


1 comment:

  1. Good post! So much art to see and so little time to see it with.

    ReplyDelete