Thursday, March 4, 2010


I have been experimenting with Raku firing here at NCC in the Ceramic Dept. and I was admiring these Raku pieces while visiting the Banana Factory. I really enjoyed the studio artists explanation of the variety of people that take her class and the reasons why they take it. I have taken pottery class and experienced hands on healing. The clay is a natural material that demands kindness and an awareness of its state of being which in turn makes you aware of yourself and its balance. When working on the pottery wheel balance within is crucial. Your pots form will express the pressures in your hands as well as your head, I notice when my head is somewhere else I can not throw...I center myself and the clay mirrors.

The use of the glazes in this photo is stunning. The technique is professional and celebrated.
I enjoyed our visit to the Banana Factory and am excited about the internships that we are scheduled for.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, clay acts as a mirror for the artist in progress. Magical, really.

    Other questions for the BF: Can you imagine doing Rachel Akers job? Other aspects of the BF?

    The internship should shed light on these questions.

    ReplyDelete