Saturday, March 20, 2010

Howard Crockett NYC Repsonse

1. I think the most interesting thing I saw was the New York City Earth Room and Broken Kilometer. Normally everyone just walks on dirt and thinks nothing much of it. The large amount mixed with the space it filled really created an interesting piece of work. Broken Kilometer was also very interesting, could you imagine having to be the person who has to maintain that room. Having to make sure they remain clean, dust free, while also maintaining their exact position at all times must be crazy.
2. The thing I found most unexpected was the piece of work we passed while on the way to the Independant show. I believe the artist's name was emma or atleast thats what it said outside of the building. I just found it very unexpecting how inside this extremely decayed building was a light shown on what seemed to be a glass sculpture. The idea that something so beautifully appealing to the eye was hidden inside this old building was very unexpected.

3. This trip was my first trip as an artist. I have been to NYC many times but never to view museums or galleries. After taking this trip it has opened my eyes even more in the way that I really cannot imagine my life without art. I find it hard to believe that just 2 years ago, I couldn't have cared less about painting and now it is something i find to be fulfilling and completely relaxing, so yes I can imagine myself living in this profession.
4. Addition comments:
The 5 pieces I chose from Pulse are:
This piece by Patricia De Carvalho was probably my favorite thing I saw all day. I just found the colors very appealing to the eye and I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole ride home.


This piece by Beverly Fishman also stuck out to me. I really liked how the enamel just drips off the bottom of the canvas, i thought it gave it a really interesting effect.
By Enrique Gomez de Molina, the series of the unique creatures were a one of a kind addition to the show. The fact that these "animal" were created using parts of real animals was really interesting. This interesting piece which incorporates a small globe which flips the image created by spools of thread was created by Devorah Sperber. I chose this piece as one of my top 5 simply because of the colors. The green and blue shown in this piece by Tim Bavington happen to be my two favorite shades of the colors. Set against this background, I found the colors very intense and they drew me in.

2 comments:

  1. Good report and interesting picks on the Walter de Maria projects.

    "Gorilla" style art (shows up unexpected, often without an authority to be there) is exciting to encounter. Do you think this type of thing would work in the Lehigh Valley? at NCC?

    Interesting Pulse picks. Look up Mark Rothko, 50's Abstract Expressionist, in reference to Tim Bavington's piece and let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, what did you think of Claire Seidl and he work, OK Harris Gallery, Renee Ricardo and Paul Laster, The Independent and lastly, do you like falafels?

    ReplyDelete