Monday, March 22, 2010

Don Voisine Critique

I was pleasantly suprised at the way Don had presented himself in the time we spent talking together. I expected a critique like one from a professor or maybe hints for improvement, but this was more of a discussion and it made the environment feel a lot calmer. I began talking with him about the paintings and about how they related to my family issues and he talked with me about how he face similar times, and how maybe my everyday experiences with my job influence my art.

Overall, the visit from Don was an informative outlook on life in the art world, he had described that a career in art is a constant marathon. Maybe so, but I don't really feel like it's a race, i'm not one into rushing things, but I digress. I am glad that he had nothing negative to say about my work and that nothing had offended him in the way that I had represented the works. He had also asked if I related myself with Japan, and I replied that I did not. The style may be derived from the culture, but I was not interested in giving my "characters" any reference to the country, they simply relate to me. I am very happy that I got to have this interview with such an experienced artist and to be able to relate on some interesting points.

1 comment: