Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kylie Sandt - Don Voisine Response

I did not really gather much from Don Voisine's critique. It was a rather awkward experience considering neither of us was used to that kind of interaction. That was actually the thing that struck me the most while speaking with him. It was comforting to know that it had taken him a very long time to learn how to talk about his art. At the same time that was scary to hear because every place we've gone to this semester someone has had to know how to talk about art. I don't want it to take me as long as it took him to learn how to communicate. Somehow, though, I feel like I have achieved a lot in the department this year so I'm not really that worried about it.

As for Don Voisine's thoughts about my art, I hadn't really given him a lot to look at, just my Self Portrait and Personal Belief projects. (I wonder how our conversation would have been different if I had included some of my drawings which have absolutely no connection to my mud art.) Though he did not have much to say about my work he did seem pretty interested in my materials and gave me suggestions to go larger scale and made reference to some land artists. He even told me about the Earth Room which I had instantly taken an interest to and I had to giggle to myself as soon as I heard we would be seeing on our NYC trip.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting observations. Talking about art is definitely an acquired skill. Our critiques, posts, and other interactions offer opportunities to develop this. As you say, and I agree, you are making progress on it this semester. The strength of your artwork will make it that much easier. Keep Going!

    Glad you made it to the Earth Room, a kind of distant cousin of yours!

    ReplyDelete