Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Amber Remaley- Allentown Art Museum

Growing up in Allentown I must have been to the Allentown Art Museum about a dozen of times. Between visiting the museum on a field trip with elementary school and showing my artwork there in high school; I knew the place like the back of my hand. It was interesting to see the behind the scenes that what goes on at the museum. I never knew where they store all the artwork or how they receive some of their pieces.

-Karen Barlow- Museum Registrar
Karen job of taking care of the artwork was harder than I thought; the pieces have to be at certain temperature at all times and she takes pieces of art down to give them a break from the gallery. Thought her job at the museum was the best, I would love to deal with the artwork and get to pick and choose which pieces should go up and come down. I could see myself later down the line working at an art museum, and I would like to be a museum registrar.

-Jane Kintzner- Interim Director of Education
Jane was in charge of the upstairs which held the children’s Education center, where kids get be creative and make art project which are hung around. I really don’t see myself doing this job, I’m good with kids but I would rather work more with the artist artwork in the museum.

-Jacqueline Atkins- Chief Curator, Curator of Textiles
Soody Sisco- Assistant Curator of Textiles
Jacqueline and Soody took care of all the textiles, while we were there they were trying to piece back together a piece of old material. The room where they held textiles was packed with hundreds of gray boxes, which had pictures of what piece of clothing they held. The textiles were neat, I loved seeing all the old hats and hat boxes, but I couldn’t see myself doing that job, simply because I would be afraid I would ruin something.

-Steve Gamler- Preparator
Steve was in charge to set up the exhibits and package the artwork. I would like to set up exhibits for a museum, but I wouldn’t like the taking it down part, so I couldn’t see myself doing this job.

1 comment:

  1. So it's Registrar for you if you venture into museum work. I'd say Karen's biggest issue is keeping it all organized, that's the core of her job.

    ReplyDelete