Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chris Demchak - Allentown Art Museum

1. Karen Barlow, Museum Registrar
A. I like how she basically takes care of the collections they receive. You can tell she's passionate about what she does and the respect she has for the artwork, like taking certain pieces down to 'give them a break.'

B. I can totally picture myself in this job with the handling, sorting and organizing all that work.

2. Steve Gamler, Preparator
A. Even though we did not get to talk to him, I think his job is the most interesting. I like that he uses computer software to digitally design the look of an exhibition before they set it up.

B. This is something I can absolutely see myself doing as I believe I have an eye for composition and what looks good; also, arranging where things go is applying art in itself, it's not just a job but more of a close-to-home job that lends itself to use skills you acquired in art school.

3. Jacqueline Atkins, Chief Curator, Curator of Textiles
Soody Sisco, Assistant Curator of Textiles
A. The textile department wasn't as interesting for me. I like fashion to an extent and costumes, but I believe there was too much emphasis on the textile dept. than there needed to be.

B. I cannot see myself in this position.

4. Jane Kintzner, Interim Director of Education
A. I think it's interesting working with kids and letting them explore their creativity while also recycling old materials.

B. I'm not a big fan of kids so I don't think I'd enjoy this position too much.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Yes, museum work, particularly curating and arranging the work an exhibition certainly uses skills acquired in art school – an
    "art" in itself, as you say.
    Textiles – not everyone's cup of tea, but it's what came to the museum and was a strategy that the AAM decided to take to distinguish itself. The same skills are involved from the more classic fine art area.
    The interest in "arrangement"is evident in your show stategey as well. Other artists to check out: Haim Steinbach (custom shelving with display of consumer products), Jeff Koons (vacume cleaners, 80's work in particular), Louise Lawler (photography of art in the context of the owners. Oh, and Lucas Samaras's "chair" art. Fetish, obsessive.

    ReplyDelete