Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chris Demchak - Banana Factory Internship

The first thing Rachel had us do was plaster some holes in the hallway where art was being displayed and fix the lighting. Liz and Cailin went to Spackle and I volunteered to do the lighting.

Fixing the lighting was fun but also annoying because the lights were so hot. There were about six small studio lights on tracks above each work of art. Even though I was neither instructed nor informed I took some things into consideration:

- was each light serving some kind of purpose?
- the amount of light each part of the piece was getting/equality
- what the light did to the color/enhance or flatten
- the kind of shadow it made and if it was beneficial or distracting

She also showed me how to replace burnt out bulbs.

Next she had the three of us tape off the edges of walls that were to be painted. It wasn't too difficult but I believe I've made an improvement on how to make straight lines with masking tape.
We got that done with record speed and she had us do the same thing to the Olympus room, with Cailin removing nails from the wall.

The last thing she had us do was bring out an old mosaic from the back in which they were going to display at a later date.

The three of us worked really well with each other and did a very efficient job being both fast and accurate. If I had more spare time I would love to go back and do more jobs for them.

Even though it may be considered 'grunt work,' I see it more as Art Support. All these jobs are really for making the art look better and for keeping galleries such as the BF going so they can help other artists. It's a great thing that I would love to be a part of someday.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post and response to the experience. I especially like your observation of all this as "art support" and therefore NOT just grunt work.
    Perhaps you can volunteer more for Rachel and the BF. Could lead to good things such as a letter of recommendation or even a job.

    ReplyDelete