Thursday, April 1, 2010

Amber Remaley- NYC Response

Claire Seidl- Before we went to visit Claire at her studio, I did some research on her work. I enjoyed her photography work and her unique technique on how to capture movement on film. One of my favorite pieces is a photo titled “sweet 16”, which I saw on her web site. Claire’s abstract paintings were nice to see the detail and texture in person. The best part was seeing how she transforms a small studio apartment into her own art studio and dark room. The sliding door which hid her paintings was the wow part to us all.

OK Harris- Besides the cute brown puppy in the office, which I wanted to take home, I loved the photo realism painting of buildings. In that gallery there is also this huge abstract piece which reminded me of my paint.

Earth Room- The first thing we all said when we walked into the room was…..”This is so Kylie”. It was so moist in there that I was afraid my hair was going to frizz, but I loved the idea of bringing nature inside. I just have to wonder how they are going to clean it up.
Broken Kilometer- After going into this Saw movie down stairs to nowhere place, we found the right way into the gallery. At first it was so quite when we walked in and turned the corner to see these dozens or thousands of golden rods. First thing I said was, “Is that real gold”. I thought it was different in a way of thinking outside the box with art. I heard someone say in our group that every so often the workers at the gallery have to slowly turn each one to clean the dust off, not a fun job.
Jack Shainman Gallery/ El Anatsui- I looked his work online, so I knew what I was in for when I saw these huge drapery pieces of artwork. The fact that its recyclable liquor bottles were very interesting, that the pieces bended so well like blanket folds. I enjoyed learning more about the artist like he came from Africa and was the youngest out of I think 30 some kids.

Johnathan Levine Gallery- Hands down best gallery we saw. I loved the modern new artist pop art digital thing about it. I visited the web site before going, and already knew what pieces I was excited to see. In the future I was loved to hopefully have one of my pieces shown there one day….which so will happen lol.

This reminded me of Banksy stencil graffiti artwork

I loved the detail in the collage background
The Independent- Telling you the truth, this gallery was the least I enjoyed. There wasn’t really anything that appealed to me, except for the nice huge clown rat greeting us as we walked in.

Mean While- On our way to the Pulse we went down stairs in to the under construction gallery, which had these huge amazing paintings. While taking pictures Bruce just happened to get in the shot.

Miranda with her paper bag of found coke bottles

Bruce calling into the wilderness
Pulse- I had so much fun at the Pulse. My eyes were about to fall out my head with all the images I was taken in. I loved the set up and the free tote bags that everyone in are class rocks now ha. There were so many styles of art and different types of media that I never thought of using. The Pulse to me was the icing on the cake to our New York art trip.


This piece looked liked a video camera shot, but close up it was like pixels


Video of the coolest painting ever

No comments:

Post a Comment