Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Amber Remaley-NYC

MoMa-
First Miranda, Howie and I started out at the Moma Art Museum, which I never been to. We were excited to see the Tim Burton exhibit. It was amazing to see all the sketches he does to come up with his ideas. Also at the Moma I was able to see master artist like Van Gogh, Dali, and many of Picasso pieces. There I also saw some of my favorite artist, like Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol. Over all I enjoyed the museum and got to see famous paintings that I never dreamed of seeing.





Whitney-
The Whitney Museum was set up kind of like a maze; it was confusing for us at first. There were unique pieces of artwork, and some videos which Howie and I were trying to rein act. Miranda and Howie were secretly trying to take pictures of the art in the museum, which was entertaining.

The artist is Storm Tharo, which is 58x42in and title Jodie Jill. It was done in 2009 with ink, gouache, and color pencil on paper. There were about four of these pieces with all different portraits. I loved the media and the way the ink made straight lines and also made a watercolor wash look for shadows. I liked how the artist also tied in a touch of color in the shirt.

The artist is Aurel Schmidt, and its titled The Fall. These pieces were amazing, when you came up close it became like a collage, because the were things drawn in like a condom for the bulls ear. Other thing that stood out to me is the type of media used, graphite, colored pencil, synthetic polymer, beer, dirt, and blood on paper. I don't know who would think to add beer, dirt, and blood to their artwork, but it worked.

The artist is Rashaad Newsome, its a 6:48 minute silent color video of a man dancing. This boy was very felxable, it made me jealous so I was trying his moves on the way home on the van.

The artist is Kelly Nipper, its a 5:11 minute black and white sound video of a female in a mask dancing. The whole video was someone counting 1,2,3,4 and the female in the mask would dance. At time she was in yoga poses, so Howie and I got on the floor and started dancing along to the video....we weren't that good.

The artist is Dawn Clements, and its titled Mrs. Jessica Drummond's. Its done with pen with ink on paper which is about 87x240in. This piece was huge and the paper was larger at some parts and smaller at others, it was a black and white drawing of the inside of a house. I liked it because it looked like it was a huge doddle done on a napkin, because some parts were crumble up.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you got to see "Starry Night" up close and in person! I wish I went there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I never seen it in person until that day. Its actually not that big, but it was neat to see his brush strokes and the texture of the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting "greatest hits" MoMA choices. "Starry, Starry Night" doesn't disappoint. The Picasso, "Women of Avignon" is very funny with the tour group and the docent in front of it explaining the art.

    Whitney Biennial: The Storm Tharp pieces were also some of my favorites, exciting mixture of traditional techniques to unusual ends. Glad you liked two of the video pieces. Can you imagine working in this medium? The Dawn Clements was impressive in scale – super doodle!
    I hope this inspired you to work hard on your own show.

    ReplyDelete