Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cailin Crisler-Banana Factory Internship

Liz, Chris, and I arrived at the Banana factory a few minutes after 8. Once again, I didn't know what to expect,except doing the grunt work only an intern would do. Shortly after arriving there, Rachel met up with us to show us our duties. We spackled walls and touched up paint. We taped up hallways, prepping the hallways for for a new coat of paint. Rachel was knd enough to get us coffee. There wasn't anything unexpected about that day.
I want to one day work at a gallery and become a gallery painter. Maybe even have my paintings set up at the banana factory. That day was only a sneak peak of the internships I'll probably have in the future of gallery work. We all have to pay our dues to get anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. "We all have to pay our dues to get anywhere."
    How true. This was a small slice of life in the operations of an art center. Did you notice anything else about the place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed how much Rachel really loved and cared about the Banana Factory and her job. Everyone is really serious about what they do there. I noticed artists in their studios.But only hearing their voices, like talking on the phone, and wondering what life is like on that side of the world for just one moment. I noticed the constant upkeep it takes to take care of an art center. I noticed how many unnecessary pen markings that were on the walls as I was touching them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's so much work! And those pen marks? It takes constant vigilance to keep things up and, of course, continuous education to the public, kids in particular, on gallery etiquette.

    ReplyDelete