Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cailin Crisler-Kylie Sandt Critique- Navajo Project

Materials-Foamcore, bee's wax, slate...forgive me if I'm missing anything...
Her project was mixed media based. All the colors were organic. There are squares of slate and bees wax that dominate the piece. Everything is cleanly done. At the center is a square slab of slate with an etching of her self portrait.
Overall, it is beautifully done and it correlates well with the rest of the work Kylie has done this year. I don't think she needs to change anything about it.

3 comments:

  1. agreed.

    Would you recommend she continue with the slate etchings or other representational element?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. The slate etching added a surprising touch to an otherwise stark piece. I would love to see more of that in her art. Experimenting is a good thnig, and she could only grow from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece was all about texture; from the creamy beeswax to the crumbly dirt. The slate was a nice contrast while still relating to the subject. Beautifully subtle yet extremely effective etching. Great symmetry (as to be expected with Navajo art). Now for the negative: as much as I love the etched slate, I don't think it worked for the overall piece. I'd be pressed to say both the slate and the subject itself but mostly the subject - I don't believe a self portrait was right for the work but seeing as you weren't there I'll forgive you. :p

    ReplyDelete