Saturday, February 27, 2010

Amber Remaley- Banana Factory

1.What do you feel was the most interesting or significant aspect of this discussion / presentation?
The most interesting thing about the banana factory is the atmosphere of each individual artist. Each studio, whether big or small, not only displays their amazing artwork but also gives you a glance at their working environment. I myself enjoyed meeting the few artists that were there, and showed us the process and certain techniques they use to make their artwork. The presentation of Berrisford Boothe showing us how he starts one of his circler pieces was very interesting. I would have never guessed when he places down the tape pieces, that there is a mathematic process behind it.

2.What was the most unexpected thing seen or discussed?
The most unexpected thing would have to be how Virginia Abbott makes her face sculptures. Using reused egg cartons is a cheap way and green way to make art. I thought the process was very neat and her way of using metallic paints on the faces was amazing.

3.Can you imagine yourself in this profession? If so, what do you like the most about it? If not, why?
I can honestly say that I did actually look into becoming an artist at the banana factory once. I would love having a studio there one day, meeting new people and working with fellow artist in the factory. As for now I want to branch out and further on to college in New York, but in the later future I could see myself applying for a studio at the banana factory.

4.Additional observations and comments:
I like how every artist in the building has their own unique style and approach to their artwork. At the banana factory there is no competition, everyone has earn their respect as an artist…but if I was the new artist in the factory, watch out!

Miranda & Howie posing in front of a painting in one of the galleries.

I loved how his watercolors looked so realistic. Andrew M. Kish III

3 comments:

  1. His watercolors were UNBELIEVABLE! I wish I brought my camera with me--my phone has terrible picture quality :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his watercolors. I really wanted to get a picture of the one portrait of the old man in his studio, but I forgot. I tried watercolors last semester, and I thought I did pretty well; but seeing his artwork makes me want to practice more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and the top painter above was? Artists names are tough to remember, but it's important to do (you want people to remember yours, right?) Try photographing the wall signage with the artists name and info on the piece of artwork for later recall.

    Watercolors? Why not? (or acrylics as wash)

    ReplyDelete