Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Christopher Demchak - Emil Lukas' Studio

The most interesting aspect of the presentation to me was not the artwork or the processes (ironically, being in his studio) but when he was talking about how he got to where he is. I think every great artist has a great story, and Emil definitely has one. The whole going to Europe and living in New York and just doing what you were meant to do really struck a cord with me. I mean, I'm not a huge believer in fate but it seemed like he was fated to follow the path he's on. What he said about making art and making it better each time was really inspiring.

The most unexpected thing discussed was the biology lesson on breeding flies. But seriously, it made me realize how broad the spectrum of art is. I used to think there wasn't any new ideas out there, but now I see they're all around.

I can absolutely see myself in this profession. I like the constant learning and growing and having to push yourself. I like the idea of having a large space where one can focus on their art. The feeling of doing what you want to do (or have to get out) and of accomplishing it must be exhilarating.

Emil Lukas' passion for art and himself shone through today, and I think his successes are a great example of what most art students like me aim to achieve.

1 comment:

  1. ...and why not YOU? Emil is definitely inspiring and informative with the idea that "Art ideas are everywhere you look". Keep looking, keep going!

    ReplyDelete