Friday, February 5, 2010

Deanna Lardieri_Individual Studio Proposal

This semester, I plan to explore simpler media, yet more complex subject matter. In recent classes, and on my own time, I’ve worked mainly in either paint or pencil. I will to continue to do so this semester but I would like to incorporate new techniques and styles as well. One interest I have is changing the tools I use. I recently finished a painting throughout which I used feathers as my brushes and it is one of my favorite works to date. My subject matter will become more intense. I have been accustomed to the credo that “an artist’s work looks better if they are portraying something they care about.” I’ve limited myself by choosing still lives of objects I own or doing portraits of people I know when there is so much more to be aware of. I intend to make my themes more abstract using key words like time, loneliness, sorrow, greed and so on. I also want to steer away from my traditional style and let my work become less literal and more loose and free.

One thing that I plan on focusing on this semester is emotions because it is very relatable and can invoke reaction from any viewer. I think the best way to research this is to study people directly. I also will study colors and they’re meanings, shapes, and music in order to really perfect the emotion I’m exploring. I can research expressionist works, artists, and movement as well.

I will use Google.com for images, emotion studies and to find artist bios, my old art textbooks to learn color shape, and composition studies, and news papers, sites and channels for current events.

As I mentioned I want to explore new mediums. I believe in the saying “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure” and I plan to work with the “treasure” I find. For example, newspaper, cardboard boxes, glass, mirrors, string, candle wax and beeswax. I also want to try using less industrial materials like coffee grinds/beans, sugar, food coloring, and pasta. I do want to keep painting and drawing as my main media but I want to incorporate these materials in them. Another technique I’m interested in is choosing a quote, phrase, song, poem or word and reacting to it and interpreting it on a canvas. If I don’t get to do that this semester I will definitely try it on my own time!

The formats I’ll be using will be mostly 2D with some 3D elements. A hobby of mine is to collect found objects and I have plenty that I can merge with my artwork. I always loved mixed media and I want to further my skills and creativity using mixed media projects and I’d like to use more than one canvas for my projects this semester.

I’m not sure how many works I want to make but I don’t want it to exceed ten. Not because I will have less work to do but rather I want to be able to have more time to do less projects then less time to do more. Plus, with all of these art projects being as important as they are (this being my last class before my degree), it’s easy to fall into a rut and this is not the class during which I want to become uninspired! As for the CMUN gallery, I think I’ll do one medium sized canvas. The lighting and the color of the wall can really accentuate a work of art and I want to take advantage of that by not covering the space. After all, less is more.

I want my series of emotions to hang in the Laub Lounge. This is where most students will see my work and this is the subject matter I really want people to relate too. I think if I put a formal still life on the wall, it’ll go by unnoticed. The students who are not taking art are the freshest eyes to more or less deep artwork and I think they are the ideal audience to scrutinize a new style of mine; like a practice run.

I think for the display case I want to do an entirely 3 dimensional piece. I enjoyed working with copper wire in my 3D design class and I’d like to use it again. Also, just like the CMUN gallery space, I want to take advantage of the display case, its security, lighting, and space. I will use the copper wire as a foundation and build off it. The aesthetics are important here as well because of how many people walk by it every day. I want them to remember my piece.

This semester will earn me my associates in fine arts. I intend to first find a style and a trademark so that my work is recognizable, and to perfect it. I don’t think I will be going on to an art institution so my portfolio has no prerequisites as far as I’m concerned and its content will be my choice. I want this class, although seemingly very stressful, to be my stress relief. It’s been a long time since there were essentially no rules for what I could make in an art class and now that the pressure is off I think my motivation will skyrocket! I’m very excited to get started!

3 comments:

  1. A successful post.

    Feather brushes? Can you bring that one to class?

    I certainly agree with, “an artist’s work looks better if they are portraying something they care about.” The issue then becomes is the concept being expressed? Pushing the materials and developing skills is really all we can do and just hope for the best.

    Also, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”is certainly true and the one's who can perceive the treasure are lucky. Mixed media:"newspaper, cardboard boxes, glass, mirrors, string, candle wax and beeswax. I also want to try using less industrial materials like coffee grinds/beans, sugar, food coloring, and pasta." sound like plenty to keep you busy.

    On the exhibition, I'm not so sure about the classic, "less is more" at this jucture. I'd say for right now, it's "More is more" and you'll sort it out at the end – the more options the better.

    They say also say that you can see your true style the way you can see the road in the rear view mirror while driving down the road. It's really after the fact. I wouldn't worry, it will come quite naturally.

    So what are your plans at the moment after NCC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have an idea for my installation that is COMPLETELY opposite of what i wrote so don't worry, it'll be much more than "less is more."

    ReplyDelete