Sunday, February 7, 2010

Howard Crockett IS/PP '10

1. While taking painting II, I created a painting depicting a woman standing at the front of a ship overlooking the ocean. My plan is to continue working with the human figure, but instead of working with realism throughout I want to incorporate some areas of gesture drawings with either charcoal or graphite.

2. I feel that by taking closer looks at images of the subjects I would like to paint, I will be able to understand where highlights and shadows fall naturally and eventually be able to just look at any object and be able to know where shadows and highlights will fall without a photo reference.

3. I would like to take some of my own photos as well as use search engines such as Google to find various images I could use to fulfill my need to references.

4. This semester I wanted to explore the use of oil paint. I have always done acrylic and have been skeptical about switching to oil, but I feel like this would be a good time to experiment with new media. In addition to the new media I also want to explore new painting surfaces (wood, mirrors, different boards, etc.) I would also like to continue using different types of screen/wire as I did on the self-portrait assignment.

5. I will mainly be working with 2-d paintings, but I would like to try and push myself more into 3-d aspects as they can create a totally different feel for the piece.

6. My plan is to create at least 3 medium pieces (18” x 2”), and several smaller works.

7. I would like to create a small series of paintings of rubber ducks. This may sound strange, but I have always been a fan of rubber ducks and I would like to make a series of various ducks in different colors/mediums/styles, to show a wide range of my abilities. I would like to complete each of these on a rather small scale, so probably no more than 5” x 5”.

8. Depending on the size I would be allotted, I would have to think about either making more of these small pieces or create a number of larger versions of these to display.

9. My main goal this semester is to try to really push my abilities and become a better realistic painter. I strive to one day be able to make a painting that is indistinguishable from an image. I also hope to become an artist who can use various media and surfaces with no difficulty. As of now, I have only worked with acrylic and a few drawing medias.

3 comments:

  1. I think that your idea of using gesture drawing is a cool idea. Would you be painting the figures realisticly then going over them with gesture drawing or just painting the gesture drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wanted to like paint some aspects of the painting, and then gesture the rest of the piece. I dont know if im explaining it right. I want the important areas to pop with the paint, and the other to fall back with the gestured areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey Flack is a wonderful contemporary photorealist who paints amazing still-lifes. I would suggest researching old master Flemish oil painters such as Jan van Eyck, Petrus Christus and Roger van der Weyden. Mostly religious art but their technique is exemplary (the Flemish did "invent" oil painting after all). The idea of leaving gestures is neat as it shows body and structure to your work - however, making it not look like an unfinished painting is going to be difficult.

    ReplyDelete