Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Liz Ronneberg, Crit on Cailin Crisler, Personal Belief System

MATERIALS- canvas, acrylic, brown paper, paper towels, rice paper

IDEA- I already knew the meaning behind it, but if I was an unbiased observer, I would guess that it has something to do with growing as a person and standing out from the norm, as the cans do opposed to the wrinkled paper surrounding it.

SUGGESTIONS- The only thing I can suggest is that I think it might add more to the piece if you made the abundance of crumpled paper at the top more intense. I might add more and give some kind of trickle effect, lessening the amount of paper used as you get closer to the bottom of the canvas.

3 comments:

  1. This peice really stood out to me, both visually and emotionally. Visually I was instantly reminded of Picasso's cubist collage "Glass and Bottle of Suze". The way the cans were stacked up and foreshortened in the background made it seem like a distorted wine glass (side note: Cezanne was doing the whole cubist thing before Cubism was invented!). One can interpret this peice on a very deep level as I did in class. Alcohol is something that not everyone can relate to but is easily understood. The quote about not figuring it all out is something I can picture a desperate man at a bar saying to the bartender. The heavy, vertical lines in the background strike a serious tone coupled with the sickly color of the green which made me think of Absynthe. It just goes to show you that even if it wasn't intended a deeper meaning can come from something lighthearted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it was a very deep meaning I was trying to portray which I like to oppose with light- hearted colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok now, dialogue! (thank you Chris, Liz and Cailin). Good observations, Liz. So Cailin, what next? Can't wait...

    ReplyDelete