Friday, February 19, 2010

Amber Remaley- Emil Lukas Studio Visit

1.What do you feel was the most interesting or significant aspect of this discussion/ presentation?

The most interesting thing that stood out to me was how long he has been working with the same media and techniques. When Emil was first showing his larva paintings I thought this was something new he was experimenting with, not later did I find out that he actually has been using this technique off and on for about fifth teen years. During his presentation while speaking to us, another thing that I found interesting was the way he saved the dead bugs on the windowsill to reuse the wings in future projects.

2.What was the most unexpected thing seen or discussed?

The most unexpected thing discussed was the actual process of making the larva paintings. He went into great detail about how he not only breeds larva to make these type of paintings, but he also uses different size larva to make thinner and thicker line strokes on the canvas. It was interesting in how he has to move a black piece of paper around the canvas show the larva will move under the paper, there is a lot of thought and science to these pieces of artwork that I would have never thought of.

3.Can you imagine yourself in this profession? If so, what do you like the most about it? If not, why?

I could see myself in this profession, maybe not working with bugs, but I do see myself with a studio and coming up with new ways of making art. One thing that stood out to me was the fact that he never really had a job; he would just find ways to make quick money by doing odd jobs. I myself don’t want to work a nine to five job in an office, so I saw a lot of myself in him.

4.Additional observations and comments.

I enjoyed the studio visit, and Emil’s work. I took in when what he about being known as an artist is getting your artwork out to the public and it’s all about the right place at the right time. It gave me fuel to get my artwork going and out in galleries asap.

3 comments:

  1. I think that you should work with bugs Amber. I think it will prove to be mind opening..LOL!

    I saw you in him too. He looks like your bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll work with bug, but Miranda maybe its your true calling ha. & yea he's my half brother lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emil and his bugs are a great example of finding your artistic direction right in front of you. Your right, I don't necessarily see you working with bugs. I'm thinking palettes (and MORE palettes) suits you better.

    ReplyDelete