Sunday, February 21, 2010

Liz Ronneberg- Emil Lukas's Studio Visit

1. I loved going into another artist's space and seeing where he works. Also, I liked hearing about how he got his inspiration and the thought process/ steps he takes when approaching a new project.

2. I was very interested in his use of organic matter when making his art pieces. I'm always attracted to the idea of using naturally occurring objects and making things with them that you wouldn't have expected to be made. I was also really surprised with the concept of making those "grey" pieces out of colored string.

3. Part of me can, and part of me cannot. I would absolutely love the traveling aspect, mainly because of the inspiration and experience that would come out of that. I would also love meeting people and hearing their philosophies on art and the inspiration behind their works, but I don't think I would like dealing with galleries and the stress of having to make/sell something.

4. Before we left I conversed with Emil briefly about another artist/ Laffayette professor, Jim Toia, I was really surprised at the similarities in their work, specifically their concepts with taking natural materials (in Jim's case ant hills and mushrooms) and making almost unnatural art out of them. I love the idea of conceiving inorganic art out of organic matter.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, astute observation concerning Jim Toia's artwork.

    Interesting that you singled out the "gray" paintings, re: recent conversations we've had about "color". What a way to work with color, heh?

    ReplyDelete