Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kylie Sandt - Individual Studio Proposal

I had initially wanted to center my work around Greek or Roman mythological stories. Each work would illustrate a different story. One such story might have been the story of how Zeus became ruler of the gods, or the story of Persephone. However, if i do not start a project right away I start to get other ideas and the original one gets shoved to the back of my mind. My idea at the moment is a sci fi/fantasy installation of landscapes, plants and animals. I plan on including a variety of pieces from paintings to sculptures.

If I want to stick to my original idea, I would definitely have to research the myths, and would probably look into art like Greek sculpture and some classical paintings that deal with the ancient myths. If I decide to go ahead with my new idea I would have to research plants and animals from various places on Earth. These would most likely come from images on the internet, as well as my own observation of my own environment. Saturn Devouring His Son by Rubens, The Birth of Venus by Botticelli, and Winged Victory of Samothrace are some possible works relating to my illustration idea. As for my fantasy environment, I'm not sure what works I would relate to. Perhaps some of Andy Goldworthy's work.

I always want to experiment with any kind of material that comes along, and so I want to use as wide variety of media and materials as I possibly can. Particularly items and materials that I find outside. I plan to work in both 2D and 3D. Since I have just recently become interested in sculpture, that is something I plan to work on a lot, but I also will include some acrylic painting. My works will vary in size and shape. Since most of my work is going to be almost entirely experimental I may not have time to do a very large quantity, but that depends on what materials I'm using at the time.

When I was planning my Greek mythology idea, I was thinking I wanted to work larger for the CC student activities space. Maybe a painting of some kind of grand landscape or story setting. With my new theme however, I'm not sure what I want to do there. Perhaps my idea for it will not have changed much by the time the time comes. I said previously that I wanted to do an installation for in the communication gallery. I want it to include something above the viewers head, I've been gradually considering ideas for this ever since I came across something that is light weight and could be easy to install.

This semester I hope to better focus in on my ever elusive style. I am always going through fazes where I work on totally different media and totally different subject matter, and so I am not sure if I have ever even come close to finding any particular style. For a while I had my path set on illustration, but with my recent interest in sculpture I have kind of been set off that path. I'm a little lost as to where sculpture will take me and I don't know if I'll get bored of it half way through the semester. That is why I plan to work with so many different things.

3 comments:

  1. Kylie, some very promising stuff here.

    Your interest in classical Greek & Roman mythology sounds so good it will be hard to pass up this opportunity to focus and explore the subject. The subject is so rich with art historical examples and still relevant since these ideas still resonate in defining who we are (Americans, Westerners, etc.) And, its a guaranteed winner in a transfer portfolio. If there is a downside, I can't think if any. I would recommend some crash reading on the subject and, even more important look at lots of images. There are plenty available on-line and in our library. Of course in the flesh is always best. Have you spent time in the recently reinstalled Greek and Roman galleries at the Met in NYC? Wow, it brings it all to life!

    OK, we all know what a hot-shot draughtsperson and painter you are and it certainly would be a good idea to keep developing and refining those skills. I would say this your natural artistic base, although some experimental forays into sculpture, as you've already started in the Self-Port, are good ideas too. Why not a two-part track? I'm guessing your up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea that you like roman and the greeks cause the gods like zeus are so awsome and i can't wait to see what type of work you come up with

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Vanessa. And what from the rest of you?...

    ReplyDelete