Sunday, February 21, 2010

Miranda Taylor critque on Vanessa Cross

I will Honestly say I have been putting this off cause I have no clue what to say.
I don't know anything about anime to give you a real good critque. I do not think that the composition is all that it can be. I think maybe you could have place the charatcer is a different position to give more depth.What I mean by depth is that as of right now your charater looks flat. It doesn't look like he could be 3D. If you were to put the bed on a angle so that we would be able to see more of the mattress and the chacter then we would have automatically think that there is more to him and that he is more than just a torso. Adding shading would help with that as well. i think that you should have more of a variety of position your charatcers are in. Have them standing, flying(because they have wings) or even laying in different positions ~on their back~.

From what I have seen of anime (books,posters, cartoons) I think that you could put a little more work into your charcter. I have one seen limited example but, they all seem to have a form of emotion on there face so that you know what they are feeling or even what their surroundings are. I don't really get that from you piece.

I know from experience that allot of fine art students do not understand anime or some do not even respect it as a art. Maybe this is your chance to change our minds. Try to pull us in by adapting your drawings with a fine art to make a new form of anime that all the fine art students will be able to understand. I think you would be able to achieve that by using a different medium such as Acrylic or Oil paints, pastels, multi media or collage. I also think that just enhance your color pencil and marker work by working more with line and shading.

I think that you could really change the minds of may students. Me included. I know I have a hard time with anime. I also don't want you to think I am being mean or overly critical. I just want you to be able to pull in a bigger audience to your work.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with choosing a different type of media. Maybe for your future projects try watercolors, you might get a nice affect with color and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right-on comments, MT, also AR.

    ReplyDelete