Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Deanna Lardieri--Banana Factory

I think the most interesting thing I learned form visiting the Banana Factory was the studios. Each studio had its own life, almost as if the studio was part of the art. Every studio we explored was full of books for reference, materials and tools, comfortable chairs, food or traces of snacks they ate, and knick-knacks for inspiration and embellishment. It was almost more exciting to see where the artists work than it was the work they produced.

I don't think too much was unexpected as far as the artists or the art, but I didn't expect the factory itself to be essentially non-profit. I assumed guests had to pay to get in or reserve a tour.

I don't know if I would "work" in the Banana Factory because I enjoy solitude when I create art. Being alone helps me focus and I would feel very self-conscious with tours and visitors constantly walking around.

I really liked how welcoming the artists were and how willing they were to talk about their art and to give us advice. I also thought it was really neat how different all the artists were and how they respected each other as equals.

1 comment:

  1. Good comments. yes, the Banana Factory requires an embrace of a communal experience with one's studio. This is in exchange for the contacts the communication and contacts the artists receive and a below market rent. They are required to contribute some of their time monthly as well. Our visit was special (not free by the way) and allowed the artists to contribute by speaking with us. You can also go by on First Fridays and see many of the studios open, plus demos of techniques such as the glass works (very hot and very cool).

    ReplyDelete