Monday, February 8, 2010

Amber Remaley- IS/PP Proposal '10

1. What ideas, subject matter, and content are you interested in exploring in your work?
Since last spring semester when I was checking out the other students projects, I have been thinking about what I can come up with that can make people go “WOW, that Amber is amazing”. Over the past summer I went back to oils and painted an 18”x24” black and white Marilyn Monroe. I loved just working with mars black and titanium white so much that I created another oil black and white painting; in my painting II class of a portrait of my grandfather and I. When it comes to this project my idea is that I want to continue with a black and white theme, with maybe just a hint of a bright color here or there. For my subject matter I want to go with a classic Hollywood theme, by using famous actors, singers, and political figures from the 50’s and 60’s. Many artist paint celebrities simply because it’s a popular, with this content I want to push boundaries by exploring with collage, spray paint and photography.

2. What type of research do you feel would be helpful in developing your initial ideas for the work? (artists, art historical movements, styles or time periods, social/ political/ historical issues, others?)
For my classic Hollywood theme, I have many helpful resources I can use to give me ideas. Andy Warhol alone would be great source for ideas and research, also modern artist Dillon who works with spray paint, oil, and stencils to create celebrate pop art portraits. Another useful source is my grandfather’s house where there are many classic old Hollywood movies I can borrow. Most of my research I will most likely come from books, which will have many pictures that can be useful.

3. List 3 to 5 reference works related to the above subject(s):
Andy Warhol
Roy Lichtenstein
Angus Mcbean
James Dillon
Banksy

4. What types of art media and other materials do you plan to work with or experiment with?
Right now I’m lending to mix media with my main media will be oil. For oil I just want to work with black and white for that old Hollywood photography look; to add a little pop art I want add a touch of bright color (ex: I would paint Audrey Hepburn in black and white, but make her lips pop out with red.) I also want to work with collage, photography and try spray paint for a modern approach. Instead of painting on a boring canvas I want to paint on wood, something from home depot.

5. What types of format do you plan to work with? (2D, 3D, 2 & 3D combinations, installations, electronic)
For my format I plan to work on a flat surface, but I might add something’s that stand out. If I chose so, my 3D pieces still will not be that extreme. I might fame the pieces of artwork, if I use thin wood to paint on.

6. Approximately how many and what sizes of works do you plan to make? (Take into account the amount of space you are likely to need to fill within the Cmun Hall Gallery.)
Well we are supposed to complete twelve so….twelve? Depending on the size my pieces are, if I have more room and more time I would like to do fifth teen. As for the sizes, I like to work pretty big compare to most students. The smallest piece might be a 16”X24” and the largest might be around 4ft x 3ft, I don’t know the measurements off hand. I have these two huge canvas at home identically in size, that I might use for this project. They were actually free from a garage sale, that I just gesso over and never had a chance to used yet.

7. Describe your ideas for a work to be shown in the CC Student Activities space:
I think we could show slide photos of each of us working on our projects in the process. When we also visit New York we can show photos of our trips. I still don’t have an idea with the wall space, but I’m sure as a group we can think of something awesome.

8. Describe your ideas for an installation and the work(s) you would like to make for the CC Display Case:
I’m confused on this question….? For the works were installing are these a piece from our project, or just anything we create from now to then. Choosing a piece to place in the case will depend on how much room we have, but if I do add something 3D to a piece, that will be the one I would chose, so it won’t come off. As for the installation I think we should add like cool white Christmas lights, so heads will turn when people walk past.

9. What do you hope to achieve by completing a substantial body of work this semester? (increased drawing or painting skills, technical abilities w/ specific media, other abilities)
Letter D, all of the above. Every time a complete a painting or drawing I feel it’s better than the last one. Not only will I have better skills, but by do this whole independent studio project I get to learn how to manage time, set up my art for a show, and get different responses from other people. By doing this project I’m going to attempt to work with different medias, and by the end of this I will have great new pieces for my portfolio to submit to Pratt. Yes, I finally found a college and I want to go to Pratt. I’ve been excited since last spring when I saw the last independent studio class had their artworks in the hallway, so I am very excited for my time to be in that same hallway.

3 comments:

  1. I would be wary of subject matter. It's true that celebrities and pop art go hand-in-hand, but it has been done so many times that some might consider it taboo even if you plan on using something other than the "traditional" medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats true, I agree with you on the subject matter. Bruce and I discussed this before, I don't want my artwork to be copycat art that you could find in Marshalls home goods department lol. I might change my subject matter and stick with the different size paint platte idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you've laid out your plans and ambitions:
    "Wow" artworks for this show, realism, work on wood (also the two canvases you say you have ready), some 3-D, great portfolio from the show = Pratt acceptance. OK, now to DO IT. You Go girl!

    Those who've gone before: Lauren Doyle (NCC, AA in Fine Art '09) is now at Pratt. I'd contact her with questions, lauren.doyle2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete