Saturday, February 13, 2010

Independent Studio Project Proposal

1.The influence of color depicts my experience visiting Buddhist and Hindu Temples.

The subject is myself and the painting depicts a certain aspect of what inspired me during my travels. I have been participating in Native American sweats for quite some time and that has enhanced my spirituality and my expression of the different states of being. Figure drawing comes naturally to me and I am going to try to push that comfort zone this semester.

2. I am very interested in Native American pottery and clothing patterns. The texture of indigenous objects sing to my hands, I can feel the fibers in my soul. The colors of India create a rainbow of celebrated culture. I love the murals of Rivera and the works Kahlo, the festivity and outcry of Mexico, the adobe shades of red.

3.Charley Harper An Illustrated Life by: Todd Oldham

Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy by: Christopher Hart

Design Serving The Needs of Man by: George Beakley and Ernest Chilton

4. Charcoal, Acrylic, Colored Pencil, Paper, collage

5. I plan on working with 2D and 3D. I plan to do some paintings as well as a large mural size collage. I also am working on a small book that holds small self-portraits.

6. I cannot say exactly how many pieces because if I begin to cut them up into smaller pieces than I will end up with quite an assortment to collage pieces.

I want to construct a Temple doorway covering my ten ft. space in the hallway and have a sculpture shelved within it. I am currently carving a Buddha from a salt lick and I plan on finishing that for the show.

7. For the CC Student Activities space I would supply a collaged mural entailing a number of separate pieces that fit into one mural. Pieces on paper done in charcoal and acrylic that are reinforced for hanging purposes will be the bulk of the work of art.

8. For the display case I plan of constructing a space that resembles the inside of a Hogan (this is the Native American structure that traditional sweats are held in) and depicting my memories of the spiritual experience of the sweat.

9.I hope to achieve a solid equal union between my painting and drawing skills. I hope to convince people that I create substantial, honest art that tells a story.

I want to refine my portfolio. I hope to be able to fully explain myself with enough clarity that although people may not relate or like my work, that they are able to respect my perspective. I want to create universal work.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent and ambitious, Jasmine. Your interests are far reaching, a summation I suppose of the last several years of experiences for you. The "temple" concept with interior sculpture sounds fascinating. We should talk about a spot for this and other things as well.

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete