Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cailin Crisler IS/PP Proposal

This semester I want to experiment with the idea of abstract versus realism. I’ve always been fond of both, especially abstract art. A lot of my paintings have a leaned heavily toward abstract and that is why I want to turn the tables and work on realism. I’m also interested in exploring the world of surrealism, comic illustration, landscapes, and the human anatomy. I say the last part because I’ve always been curious to draw musculature, bone structure, and so on. I don’t know anything about it! I can draw the surface features of a model but I confess that it seems more fun to draw what’s going on under the skin.
The research I typically work with are in magazines. Mostly Vogue, Juxtapose, and the occasional tattoo magazine. I can look at them and sometimes find inspiration for my projects that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter that I’m looking at. At my next available opportunity I want to go out and buy a book on human anatomy and practice. Tim Burton, Aron Wiesenfeld, and Georgia O’Keefe inspire me the most.
I want to go the traditional way and get my hands dirty with acrylics. The majority of my work will be on canvas but I don’t want to limit myself. If I find a flat surface I like, I’ll go for it. I’m not above painting on ply wood or sheet metal or card board. I want to incorporate oils into my work a lot more as well. I’ve used them in the past and enjoyed them.
I plan to mostly work with 2D(painting and drawing). I like installation, but I have no serious ambition toward it personally.
I want to work on the largest canvases I can get my hands on, but I also have a starving artists budget to consider as well. They won’t be any smaller than 18x24.
My vision starts with landscape. I live out in the country. There is a lot of subject matter for me to play with. The weather getting warmer will be to my advantage also. It’s not only landscape though. I’m going to combine it with surrealism, human anatomy, and a few other surprising factors.
In reality, an installation for the CC Display case is something I still need a lot more time to think up. I love playing with origami though. Now picture origami in a really large scale and decorated with whatever crazy images I can come up with.
The number one thing I hope to achieve this semester is to strengthen my portfolio. That has always been my first objective. I’ve come to understand that people in this industry judge you on how strong your body of work is(like for Tales from the Crit), and I want mine to be as strong as I can make it before I transfer on to another school. My second is to simply grow and learn all I can as a painter.

2 comments:

  1. Cailin, Good proposal. Clear, focused, and ambitious.

    Exploring the figure, landscape, anatomy, and abstraction will be a sufficiently broad spectrum of interests. Your artists cited are all rich with possibilities. Keep looking at a lot of art, though and your potential for idea gerating will multiply. A broad awareness of art history as shown in your work will definitely appeal to a transfer committee at any good art school too.

    Acrylics are so versatile, as you already know, but oils are great too. Neither is better tha the other, they just have distinctly different characteristics that all art students should be aware of. The point is to choose the one that works best for what your hoping to achieve. Again, examples of both in a portfolio is a plus.

    I'm intrigued by the interest in your country setting. Something that you can really get involved with and already know very well I imagine. It may also offer a pathway to really personlaize your work.

    Anatomy: It used to be de-riguer training in art schools. Now its generally viewed as helpful, but not as essential. "Grays Anatomy" is a classic that breaks down the body diagrammatically in all of it's complexity.

    Still wondering about you and origami. Sounds interesting and full of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surrealist landscapes, human anatomy and other surprises...you'll definitely want to look into Salvador Dali! Another personal favorite is Max Ernst, which makes me think you'd be interested in Dada (check out that wonderful book Bruce brought in from the library).

    ReplyDelete