Saturday, February 27, 2010

Banana Factory Visit- Liz Ronneberg


These paintings were displayed in the upstaris gallery but the artist's names were not displayed.
I was really impressed it the technique used to do the background in these two, and I like how the artist put realistic images onto it.





1. What do you feel was the most interesting/significant aspect of this discussion/presentation?
I liked seeing all the artist's studios, I especially enjoyed visiting Berridford Boothe's, and hearing him talk to us. I was very inspired by the things he told us like his personal philosophies on art, and also about his own approaches to planning and executing an art piece.

2. What was the most unexpected thing seen or discussed?
I did not expect so many artists to have personal studios there. I thought a majority of the building would have been classrooms or group workshops (but I don't think we were shown too many of those). I also found it very interesting to hear about the technicalities that come along with renting a studio space.

3. Can you imagine yourself in this profession?
I can imagine myself working in a studio much like where we visited (mainly because the pressures of having to produce/sell art don't really appeal to me very much). I would still make art, and would love to have my own studio (ideally, more homely, like Emil Lukas's) but do not want to solely rely on producing art, and instead would like to make a living working with art (maybe as a framer for museums, as we have discussed).

4. Additional observations and comments:
I was very impressed by the insider's tour we got, and especially the way it is run and the people that are the backbone of the institution. I really look forward to the internship we have set up and completely intend on doing more hours than are required. I think it is a great way to get experience and a chance to make really good connections.



4 comments:

  1. I agree with wanting to spend extra hours within the Factory. I want to get as much experience as I can.

    I am also happy you posted those two pictures of the apple and the paper boat. I wish I knew who that artist was, the works were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howie, I knew you'd like those! I emailed Rachel to find out the names of the artists but she hasn't gotten back to me, but if she does, I will be sure to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i forgot about that painting of the paper boat! That was one of my favorites there too Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great discussion folks!

    Onward to the BF internships!

    ReplyDelete