Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Amber Remaley, Crit of Liz Ronneberg, Personal Belief System

Critique of Liz Ronneberg

Materials: A drawing done on about an 18”x24” paper. A variety of different media pencil, color pencil and water color throughout the background.

Interpretation: At first glance it looks like a drawing mannequin figure sitting in a Buddhist pose with lotus flowers going vertically down the figure. The figure seems to be in a spiritual place, maybe in a state of nirvana. The colors in this piece of art are very colorful, but yet still tie in with the earth, by using a blue was for the sky and green for the grass. The figure has no facial structure or a body figure that could remissible a man or female, by doing this I feel the artist is letting the view place themselves in the art. Over all this artwork has a spiritual and nature appeal.

Critique: In the artwork there is a layout of a pattern around the figures head, maybe you could incorporate some more color in the pattern by using colored tissue paper. In this project you had to place in a found object, I would suggest to add some kind of foliage or flower. Lastly you must incorporate something for your pervious piece into this piece of artwork. Since you have not found a way to mound your piece, I suggest you use cardboard like you did before; since you work well with that material.

4 comments:

  1. I second the motion to have a cardboard mount. I also think you should put at least two of those wire and paper maché lotus flowers that you were working on in or around that space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber- I can see where you're coming from about mounting it on cardboard, I'm just worried that it might not look as good as my other project because the colors might clash?
    Chris- I would love to incorporate a wire flower, but I'm just hesitant on how (or rather, where) I would put one or two in. Maybe if I do mount it on cardboard, I could glue it onto that?
    I'm also hesitant about working more on the figure, I'm personally not happy with it, and am not sure how facial features would look on it. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good exchange. Thank you CD and LR.

    There's a saying, "He (She) who hesitates is lost." Sometimes that is SO true. When you need to move, MOVE! You can always go back and fix things up – that's what artists do. I can feel the Chakras rising...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points, AR in initial crit.

    ReplyDelete