Monday, February 8, 2010

Christopher Demchak - Critique for Kylie Sandt: Personal Belief System

Materials: cardboard, aluminum foil, mud

The Artwork: Angel-like figure mounted on a blue sky-colored background. Four symmetrical wing-like structures (two at the top, two at the bottom) protrude off the edges; the bottom-right one covered in mud. The design is simplistic, clean, and exciting - looks like a logo.

Interpretation: The angelic-like figure leads me to believe the artist is somewhat spiritual. How spiritual is left open. The artist may be like me, and enjoys religious symbols and art more than religion itself. Although the use of mud is used to relate to her previous work, one can perceive it as the artist being grounded or quite possibly conflicted as to her own religious views.

Things I Enjoy: I love the aluminum foil on the wings and head and how it catches the light. The complementary colors of the brown (deep orange) of the mud and the blue background is visually appealing. When my eyes fall on the negative space I can make out what appears to be another angelic figure or even the shape of a cross; being what I assume is unintentional makes it more exciting.

Things That Can Be Improved: The only thing I saw was that the upper left wing had pieces of tape which looked like it was holding it together. I'm not sure how that fits in with the whole piece.

Going Further: I'm not sure if she should continue to cover up the foil-covered wings with mud or not; I'm really digging it being only on the bottom right one. If anything, cover up the bottom left one as well but leave the two on top uncovered. Doing that will create a tension throughout the piece with this wanting to reach up into the sky on top but being firmly planted down on the bottom.

Last Comment: I'm not sure of any angels that have four wings. I know that Seraphs have six wings...hmm, something to consider. In any case, I'm not going to say if the figure is or isn't an angel at all; I would hate to put a definitive label on something before knowing what it actually is.

2 comments:

  1. As much as I also liked the foil, I proceded in covering it up. (I may use the same color and material in the future, as well as the figure.) I feel that all life depends on the four elements and the spirit, earth/mud is the sturdy base. The figure was meant to be an abstaction of a pentagram into a person and I did put another point on top around the head to make that a little more clear.

    I was surprised to find what was created by the negative space. It is interesting that I did that unitentionally because my entire childhood up until highschool was based on christianity and so it is a big part of what made me who I am yet I usually deny it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good stuff here – the critique and the response. CD: Interested in art criticism? KS:You have many paths possible this semester with materials and ideas. Why not try them all out? Ex: a series of "foil" works, perhaps as studies for the more time consuming mud pieces?

    ReplyDelete