Thursday, February 18, 2010

Deanna Lardieri; Emil Lukas Visit

1. I think what was most interesting about the visit to the artist's studio was his motivation and his knowledge. I appreciated the questions he asked us in the beginning because it showed that he is aware of what he is doing and still continues to apply the fundamentals of art after years out of college.

2. I agree with everyone else that the maggot paintings were the most unexpected part of the trip. Even more unexpected was how knowledgeable he was of breeding flies and which kinds were better to use. His inspiration and the process of this idea just blew me away.

3. If I couldn't imagine myself having this profession, I wouldn't be taking this class. I hope everyone feels the same way. Being in his studio, or in any artist's studio, always makes me want it more, and Emil's studio made me want to be able to keep mine very clean! (altho I know that will never happen :) )

4. I think Emil's work was amazing and really put me in my place. His thread works made me feel like I knew nothing about color! Emil, as a person, was very inspirational and his motivation was incredible. His philosophies behind his works were great and I was extremely envious that he never had to get a job his whole life. That really shed new light on the idea of the starving artist I always thought I'd be. Also, his wife's painting of the cocoon he showed us was wonderful. I wish he showed us more of their collaborative works.

1 comment:

  1. OK. Who doesn't want Emil's life? He does have to work hard to make it work, though. He's also a very good communicator about the artistic process.

    ReplyDelete