Monday, February 8, 2010

Howard Crockett, Crit of Amber Remaley, Personal Belief System

Critique of Amber Remaley

Materials: Acrylic paint on a palette shaped piece of cardboard. Collaged images of a graveyard (photo), sky (photo), 4 cherubs (photo), an older couple (graphite sketch with gold leaf for halos over the couple), and a self-portrait of Amber (also graphite), and a small gold pendant.

Interpretation: After viewing Amber's piece I came to believe that she was trying to portray the belief she has towards heaven. In the piece she has placed the images on the left side of the palette, with the sky above the graveyard, and the angelic couple is above the sky, flying with the cherubs. On the opposite side of the piece stands the portrait of Amber, watching as the couples ascends to heaven. I believe that the people in the couple are relatives to Amber; grandparents perhaps.

Critique: I think Amber should play around with the shapes of the photos and cut them into more interesting shapes rather than leaving them as crisp edged rectangles. I also think that she should replace the full body portrait of herself with a larger portrait of just her face, much like she did on her previous piece.

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything Howard said here. One detail that I believe was overlooked last class which I enjoyed was the hierarchy placement of the photos; you had the graveyard on the bottom, the looking up at the trees/sky in the middle and the angels on top - sort of like the stages of life. I've no doubt that was intentional and felt it was needed to be addressed. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I really loved about her project was the way the two people with the halos (I'm guessing her parents maybe?) looked. I think if she blew that image up and had it alone it would look so "pop art goes byzantine." My mind immediately went to Monty Python when I looked at the image! The idea of the hierarchy is very interesting too. Did you do that on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points HC, and comments CD, DL

    Let's watch Amber show us what will make her famous this semester, heh? Go Amber, go!

    ReplyDelete